dangerous dogs

Hobbies, Off Duty, Holidays anything like that!
falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

dangerous dogs

Post by falkor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:12 am

A three month old baby boy has died after being viciously attacked by two family dogs while in the care of his grandmother.
By Ben Leach
Last Updated: 8:40PM GMT 07 Feb 2009
Police said that the exact cause of death had yet to be confirmed but it is suspected that Jaden Mack was killed during an attack by the grandmother's Staffordshire Bull terrier and Jack Russell.

It is understood that the baby was asleep in a basket on the ground floor of the house when the dogs attacked.

Neighbours reported hearing screams of panic as Denise Wilson, the baby's grandmother ran into the street crying for help.

Friends rushed into the house to help and were forced to drag the dogs off the child who was bleeding severely from the attack.

The tragedy occurred shortly after midnight on Saturday morning in the town of Ystrad Mynach, 12 miles north of Cardiff. The child was taken Prince Charles hospital in Merthyr Tydfil where he was later pronounced dead.

The grandmother was also taken to hospital where she was treated for shock but was later released. Police confirmed that they intend to question the grandmother.

Both dogs have now been destroyed.

Alexandra and Christopher Mack, the boy's parents, went out on Friday night and took the child to stay with his grandmother, who is the owner of the two dogs.

Neighbours in the town's commercial street where the attack occurred confirmed that it was a regular arrangement and that the baby had stayed at the house several times before.

Heather Organ, 47, said she was watching television when she heard "screaming". "It seemed as if somebody was very distressed or being attacked," she said. "I came out and saw my neighbour and he knocked on the door and asked her to open the door.

"When the door opened, two dogs ran out. At the time I didn't realise what had happened so, rather than let the dogs get hurt, I picked up the Jack Russell and ushered the other one (Staffordshire bull terrier) off the road.

"The grandmother came out and she was screaming 'The baby is dead. He is dead' There was no blood on the Jack Russell but with the black one (Staffordshire bull terrier) I couldn't tell.

"When I entered the room the baby was obviously dead. The baby had a severe injury to his neck and with that the police arrived."

She added: "It was dreadful. There was blood on the floor. I know people can't prove anything but at this moment in time it does suggest that it was the dog."

Ms Organ said she believed the neighbour was minding her grandson for the weekend.

Another neighbour, Gail Jones, 45, said she was walking back from a night out when she heard a distressed woman.

"It was just after 12pm and I heard the grandmother, She was more than crying – she was absolutely hysterical. The poor woman. It was terrible."

"You see these stories on the telly and you don't think it is going to happen on your street.

"I know one neighbour tried to give the baby the kiss of life so you can imagine what state he is in now. Your heart goes out to the family. It is just tragic."

Marion Harding, 64, who lives two doors away, said: "It was just gone midnight when I heard hysterical screams in the street. Other neighbours went to find out what was happening and found the baby was being attacked by two dogs.

"It was a terrible shock when I heard the baby had died – it's just too dreadful for words."

Other neighbours said the Staffordshire Bull terrier called Tyson – after World Heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson – was normally docile and there had been no previous trouble with it.

The Jack Russell terrier involved in the attack was a brown and white bitch called Lucy.

One neighbour said: "Dogs can get jealous – it may be something to do with the grandmother making a fuss of the baby. When one dog attacks other dogs will often join in. It is their instinct. Everyone just feels heartbroken for the baby's parents – they are in a state of shock."

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: dangerous dogs

Post by nighthawk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:03 pm

When oh when will people learn that dogs are not play things.. It's always the little ones who suffer! IF you have dogs, keep'm well away from the tots!
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fudgepanda » Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 pm

A dog is a pack animal. It is pre-programmed to defend the pack against anything that might be a threat, or in the case of the pack leader, to its domination. But, it's also down to other things as well. The breed of dog for one. Remember, these were both Terriers, the Jack Russell being a better killer of rats than any cat and the other a Bull Terrier which were trained to be fearless when around cattle. A wriggling baby is just the right size for a Terrier to get its teeth into.

Alright that was an unfortunate phrase to use, but the ananlogy still stands. As Nighthawk says, keep dogs away from small children and even as they grow up make sure they understand that the dog is a friend that can protect them, but equally, could hurt them. If the child and dog grow up to unerstand each other, with the help of the parents, then the attack will never take place.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:26 pm

FP.. I totally agree mate..
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic