we need euthanasia booths on UK's street corners

Hobbies, Off Duty, Holidays anything like that!
falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

we need euthanasia booths on UK's street corners

Post by falkor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 pm

By Vanessa Allen
Last updated at 7:50 AM on 25th January 2010
Euthanasia 'booths' should be established on street corners for pensioners to end their lives with 'a martini and a medal', novelist Martin Amis said yesterday.
Britain is facing a demographic timebomb as its ageing population places an impossible burden on society, the controversial writer claimed.
Image Martin Amis
Anti-euthanasia campaigners reacted with horror to the suggestion of euthanasia booths for pensioners and called Amis's idea 'repugnant and offensive'.
The 60-year-old novelist predicted Britain could be engulfed by a 'civil war' between the old and young if it did not tackle its ageing population.
'How is society going to support this silver tsunami?' he asked in an interview with the Sunday Times.

'There'll be a population of demented very old people, like an invasion of terrible immigrants, stinking out the restaurants and cafes and shops.
'I can imagine a sort of civil war between the old and the young in ten or 15 years' time.'
Amis, a grandfather, added: 'There should be a booth on every corner where you could get a martini and a medal.'

Amis said medical science had ' overvaulted itself' in extending human life, adding: 'There's a certain point where your life slips into the negative.'
He told how his support for euthanasia had deepened since the death of his stepfather, Lord Kilmarnock, last year.

He said he had wanted to help the Roman Catholic peer to die because it was clear he was fighting a 'lost battle'.

He said: 'He thought he was going to get better. But he didn't. I think the denial of death is a great curse. We all wanted to assist him... it was clearly a lost battle.'
The writer said he had also been influenced by the death of writer Dame Iris Murdoch in 1999, two years after her husband revealed she had Alzheimer's.

He said: 'There should be a way out for rational people who've decided they're in the negative.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: we need euthanasia booths on UK's street corners

Post by nighthawk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Please no! Instead of drivers going mental after a parking ticket, there'll be mass suicides!
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic