do you need driving lic and insurance FOR THIS?

Hobbies, Off Duty, Holidays anything like that!
falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

do you need driving lic and insurance FOR THIS?

Post by falkor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:30 am

By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 2:09 AM on 20th April 2010
Comments (287)
And when police asked the driver to pull over, the Barbie car, with its top speed of 4mph, was hopeless as a getaway vehicle.

Paul Hutton, 40, is regretting his impromptu roadtrip after he was arrested for drink-driving when he tried to take the battery- operated child's toy to a friend's house.
Image Road Traffic Act??
Yesterday he admitted he had been a 'complete twit' after he was banned from driving and given a 12-month conditional discharge by magistrates.
The 6ft-tall father of four said that an adult needed to 'be quite a contortionist to get in' the 4ft by 2ft white and pink jeep, which is designed for fans of the popular girls' doll.

'I'm not unhappy with my punishment, just surprised,' he said. 'It needn't have gone to court. Possibly the police arrested me for something to tell the grandchildren.'

Mr Hutton, a divorcee from Jaywick, in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, is a former RAF aeronautical engineer who studies electric engineering at the Colchester Institute

OldWilliam
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: do you need driving lic and insurance FOR THIS?

Post by OldWilliam » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 pm

S.185(1) Road Traffic Act 1988:

“motor vehicle” means, subject to section 20 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 (which makes special provision about invalid carriages, within the meaning of that Act), a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads...

He "adapted" it simply by driving it on a road (lots of reported cases deciding the interpretation of "adapted"). And so, because S.143 applies to the use of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, yes it would need insurance. It doesn't fall into any of the prescribed classes of vehicle for which a driving licence would be needed, so no to that.

Or was it a rhetorical question?? :lol:

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Re: do you need driving lic and insurance FOR THIS?

Post by falkor » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:40 am

OldWilliam WELCOME to the site :D
'I'm not unhappy with my punishment, just surprised,' he said. 'It needn't have gone to court. Possibly the police arrested me for something to tell the grandchildren.'
I think the Police saw a set of circumstances in which a power of arrest was plainly obvious

A) he was driving a motor vehicle

B) he was over the drink drive limit

Quite simply A) + B) = arrest

I think it is as simple as that ;) the officers who made the arrest saw no further than that

the officers making the arrest I am sure could not have given two hoots what hapened later e.g. whether he went to court, whether he got a caution WAS NOT under their control, that decision was made by others!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic