Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Westminster Traffic Wardens (CEOs!!) 2009

Post by falkor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:46 am

CONFESSIONS OF A TRAFFIC WARDEN

warning ** CLIPS may contain obscene language **

This programme originally aired in November 2009

here is what Estate agent, fluffer said about it
There are many jobs we wouldn’t like to do.

Estate agent, fluffer, PA to Naomi Campbell.

But we think this programme may have exposed the worst of all – the traffic warden.

Ok, they’re not exactly popular but no-one deserves to be spat at, racially abused and physically assaulted for just £7 per hour.

This fascinating documentary follows Durga Pokhrel in his journey to become a “civil enforcement officer”, that’s traffic warden to you and me.

Durga arrived in London from Nepal four weeks before his training starts. He’s left his wife and child behind because he thinks he can build a better life for them in England.

He speaks four languages, has a Masters degree in Sanskrit literature and has read the entire works of Shakespeare. He believes British people are amiable and kind hearted and that there is no violence in Britain.

He wants to be a traffic warden, as he thinks it’ll give him the chance to observe the Brits up close and personal.

We have a horrible feeling he’s right.

Like Durga, 90 per cent of the people working for NSL, the company Westminster Council employs to do their warden work, are immigrants or foreign nationals. Life on the streets is their first taste of British society and it’s a nasty one.

The abuse, both racist and simply aggressive, they encounter when trying to do their job will open your eyes and sadden your heart.

Depressing viewing but one to watch.

Find out when Confessions Of A Traffic Warden is on TV.
interesting thread on Digital Spy forums about this TV programme

Image < click for Trainee Introduction

Image < click for Night Shift

Image < click for Traffic Warden Classroom

Image < click for CEO Candidate Interview
warning ** CLIPS may contain obscene language **

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Westminster Traffic Wardens (CEOs!!) 2009

Post by nighthawk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Still not enough training given.. It's not a job for the faint of heart!
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by falkor » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:52 am

and yet the perception of some is that "anybody could do it"

certainly "Durgan" thought that when he first started I'm sure ;)

some of the public exchanges captured in this programme are nothing short of disgraceful, 4 more clips from the same programme HAVE A LOOK

Image Traffic Warden Briefing
Traffic Wardens start their day with a talk from their supervisor who also details them with where they are working today

Image Traffic warden review
The team's supervisor has details of their performance to discuss

Image Traffic Warden Dayshift
Focusing on one of Durgan's coleagues - who is far more experienced

Image Traffic Wardens just have to be cruel
Durgan realises that emotion has to be forced out of the equation

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fudgepanda » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 pm

It's a bit of an old story. You do something wrong; something you know is wrong and when you get caught, blame the person who caught you. And then abuse them.

I was on a course with a chap who'd been one of the first Parking Attendants in Greater Manchester and later joined GMP as a Warden. He told a story that when working as a PA he was walking along Fairfield St., one evening, just near Piccadilly Station when he heard a woman shout "Get a proper job!" He turned round to see a young woman wearing a very short skirt with her stocking-tops showing leaning against a wall on the other side of the road.

30 seconds later a car pulled up and after a brief conversation she got in and the car drove off.

While admitting that being a prostitute is one of the two oldest oldest professions in the world and pre-dates being a Traffic Warden by over 2,000 years, I don't think that in the general scheme of things it's a profession that can be called a "Proper job."

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by falkor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 am

nice one Fudge, enjoyed reading that 8-) "a lady of the night!"

here, I think you would agree with me BTW that it's a rivetting programme

I should imagine a number of people regret even starting that documentary - but for the rest of us an astonishing and shocking insight into the reality of being a CEO in 2009

Image < candidate interview / nightshift / training course (9 minutes)

Image < Westminster Traffic Warden probation review at 3 months service (5 minutes)

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

In days of old Fudgepanda the ladies of the night were of great help to us Traffic Wardens. Got a load of grief from a motorists after I booked him on a meter for "Charge Not Duly Paid". Couple of lady's heard the commotion and walked over. They duly pointed out what they would do to the motorist if he didn't leave me alone.. He inturn got into his car and drove off.
They girls said to me: "We like it having you lot around here as it gets rid of the idiots and creeps. It's bad for business having the cops around here". So, I never objected to being put into the red light area of Manchester city centre. After a while, we all got to know the girls on first name terms.
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic