Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Parking Wardens are "little hitlers"

Post by falkor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:18 pm

according to an article in the Daily Telegraph that is:

Eastbourne's parking liberation front
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 09/04/2008

Have your say Read comments

Life in Eastbourne has become even sunnier. A local government wrangle has left parking wardens powerless to impose fines. Now that motorists are free to park where they can, small shops report better trade. There is no gridlock.

Two deep suspicions greet the minatory work of the parking warden.

One is that, to maximise revenue, they pounce on soft targets that are posing no obstruction to the rest of the traffic.

The other is that as a body they are fundamentally opposed to the British constitution, Magna Carta and our hard-won liberties. They are seen as little Hitlers.

Imagine, too, how glorious our streets would look without yellow lines.

So lovers of liberty are keeping a close eye on Eastbourne. To remove parking fines from urban life might deprive councils of revenue, but most drivers think it is just the ticket.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Parking Wardens are "little hitlers"

Post by nighthawk » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Bit of sypathy there.. Some years ago I was called to a particular road in Cheadle, Stockport where on this partricular saturday morning the local Synagogue was in full swing. Out side was the usual amount of parked cars. Anyway after a couple of minutes the local bongo drums started and out of the woodwork the drivers appeared and dutifully moved their vehicles. That is, except for two.... These two ended up with a FPN being issued.
At that moment the drivers arrived from inside the Synagogue. They seemed totally dischuffed ate being given a £30 FPN.. After a little fuss and plenty of shouting the Rabbi came out to see what was going on.
He told the two gentlemen to be quiet whilst he listened to my side of the story. After listening to my explaination he told me to come back to the synagogue later that afternoon (the time escapes me now) for a meeting. I arrived with my supervisor to be given a very warm welcome by the Rabbi. We sat at the meeting. Also in attendance was the two gents to whom I had previously issued the FPN's.
The Rabbi appologised for taking both my supervisor and I from our duties. He went on to explain that their law dictates that on the sabboth those attending the synagogue are to arrive on foot and not by car. He turned to the two gentlemen and informed them that he was imposing a £200 voluntary donation from them and they are to pay the FPN's on Monday morning..
To say that I was gob smacked was an understatement!

Anyway... The following Monday little posters started to appear in local shop windows.. "ADOLF HITLER IS ALIVE AND WORKING AS A TRAFFIC WARDEN IN CHEADLE VILLAGE" I was told to report it, but to be honest I quite enjoyed it..

At least I got noticed! :twisted:
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by falkor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:43 pm

hi NH I am amazed that you got your supervisor to agree to go to this meeting :ugeek: I would have thought he would have even told you not to go!!

mind you, you said this was some years ago so if this happened today, do you think your supervisor would still go along ? :) anyway that Rabbi sounds like a top bloke, did you ever see him again?

Harold S

Post by Harold S » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:15 am

THE SIMPLE TRUTH IS THAT PEOPLE LOVE TO HJAVE SOMEBODY TO HATE! THEY JUST DO! ANY EASY TARGET LIKE PARKING ATTENDANTS FOR INSTANCE. THE FACT THAT P.A.S STOP THE MICKEY TAKERS IN THEIR TRACKS AND ENSURE THAT ROADS DO NOT GET CLOGGED UP COMPLETELY IS SO EASILY FORGOTEN.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Falk.. She was quite happy to tag along just to make sure that I didn't put my size 9's in to it!.. lol
As for today, well she's retired, and I'm.. well I'm sure you know me from a different forum..
The Rabbi, he was a top bloke.. He had a interest in old british motorcycles, so i helped him out a few times in sourcing spare parts.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Hello Harold S..
I agree mate, the public love somebody to hate.. I used to love standing out side the tax office in Manchester city centre thinking; "In there, there's plenty of people who are hated more than me"..
To be honest, I got on well with the vast majority of the motoring public. In the 15 years that I did the job I was assaulted twice, and held up with a firearm once. On each of those occasions it had nothing to do with actually giving somebody a ticket, it was being in the right place at the wrong time. S**t happens!
Like I said in my inro to this site, I loved the job but time stands still for no man.

Stay safe matey...

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fudgepanda » Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 am

Nighthawk and I go back a few years but have since moved in slightly different directions. I am one of only 20 Traffic Wardens still remaining in the employ of Greater Manchester Police. With the exception of the Airport, all yellow line enforcement in the Greater Manchester area is carried out by Parking Attendants employed by local authorities or contractors. The reason T.W.s still enforce this area is because of the security aspect. I recently gave a ticket to a car left unattended outside the Terminal Building. A F.P.N. was issued. I went into the Terminal and had a tannoy message put out for the driver to return. There was no response and so I carried on with the measures that are to be instigated in these cases. After 20 minutes, a man approached me as I stood by his car. Man: "What's the problem?" Me: "You've left your vehicle unattended and because of that you've got a ticket". Man: "I've only been gone 2 minutes". Me: "That's
not true is it?" Man: "Yes it is. Well, I went to the toilet." Me: "Standing up or sitting down?" Man: "Standing up". Me: "Where did you get that cup of Coffee?" Man: "Er". Me: "You have to wait at least 3 minutes to have that made". Man: "Er". Me: "The only place you could have bought that Daily Mirror is from W.H.Smith's". Man: "Er". Me: "And the only place you could have got that sandwich was at the Spar". Man: "Er". Me: "So you said you've only been 2 minutes and yet you've managed to go to the toilet, order and wait for a coffee at the coffee stand, go to W.H.Smith's and buy a paper and then go to the Spar shop, pick something to eat, queue up to pay for it and get back to your car all in 2 minutes. I'll need your name and address please". Man: "I'm not giving you anything. You're a Little Hitler who was bullied at school". Me: "Then perhaps you'd like to give it to the 2 men behind you". Man: "Er, what 2 men"? Me: "The ones with the 9 mm pistol and the assault rifle". Man: "Er". P.C. No. 1: "Have you been drinking sir"? Man: "S**t". The driver was last seen being put into the back of a Police van. I believe his coffee and sandwich disappeared somewhere in the "Nick" and his paper ended up in the staff canteen.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Mon May 12, 2008 3:26 pm

priceless :twisted:

Fudgepanda welcome welcome!!! really enjoyed that :mrgreen:

well done

nighthawk you know this legend I understand ;)

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Fri May 16, 2008 9:30 am

Oh yes, me and fudgepanda go back a long way... We've had our fair share of fun on the mean streets of Manchester, Stockport, Longsight, Levenshulme, Moss Side, Hulme to name but a few over the years..
Fudepanda will also recall the dawn raids on some imfamous housing estates for untaxed vehicles.. Hmmm, seemed that it was only us two that would cover these estates..

Oh, and fudgepanda, you still on for the BBQ in the summer? 8-)

Later matey!

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Sat May 17, 2008 5:36 pm

nighthawk wrote:Oh yes, me and fudgepanda go back a long way... We've had our fair share of fun on the mean streets of Manchester, Stockport, Longsight, Levenshulme, Moss Side, Hulme to name but a few over the years..
Fudepanda will also recall the dawn raids on some imfamous housing estates for untaxed vehicles.. Hmmm, seemed that it was only us two that would cover these estates..
how the heck did you do it?

COPS found it difficult enough :shock: but Traffic Wardens? what chance?

ahhhh you said "dawn raids" < THAT was the secret? assemble before the buses start rolling and hit and run :twisted:

untaxed vehicles? was that just simply CLE 2/6s? or something else ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic