nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Tameside MBC To Repay Parking Fines

Post by nighthawk » Fri May 16, 2008 10:04 am

In a recent news article it was reported that Tameside Council are to repay £1,000's of parking fines due to "over zelous" parking attendants.
It came to light that Wellington Street, Ashton Under Lyne had been marked incorrectly. Parking Attendants had been issuing parking fines to vehicles over staying the limited waiting times whilst parked on a single yellow line. Attendants had not been fully briefed that the road markings indeed should have been a parking bay marked with white paint.

This is just another blow to Tameside council who have already been quoted as the most expensive place to park in the Greater Manchester area.

Now, I'm not too sure as to what training these attandents get, but as a former TW we were told that if the lines and signs were wrong, you don't issue.. Instead you report the fault and start the wheels moving to have it repaired or replaced.
The most common one was with single and double yellow lines.. We had quite a few in the Stockport area that had no bar end. These would indicate where the restriction would stop or start. Without these, it technically voided the restriction.
These was a case from the AA where by one of their legal people took Stockport council to court over these unfinnished yellow lines. And of course, Stockport council lost their case.

So, as a bit of a wise old owl.. If in doubt, leave it out!

I don't blame teh attendants, I blame the councils who want these people to be walking ticket machines.. So wise up fella's.. If it doesn't look right, leave it alone.. It might save you a whole load of bother! ;)
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Re: Tameside MBC To Repay Parking Fines

Post by falkor » Sat May 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Tameside Council are to repay £1,000's of parking fines due to "over zelous" parking attendants.
so the headline is wrong! :(

they weren't over zealous at all

just carrying out their duty as they saw it AND they have supervisors don't they? where do THEY fit in to all this? :?:

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Sun May 18, 2008 5:29 pm

I quite agree with you Falk.. Surly their supevision must have been aware of the issue.. One thing it did highlight was a training issue. If they received the same amount of training as myself then errors such as this souldn't arise.
As I stated earlier... "I blame the councils who want these people to be walking ticket machines"..
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

mosy

Post by mosy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:26 am

Hi I have been issued with a parking ticket for 6 mins past the time I had paid to, I have been told by an ex traffic warden that they should give you 10 mins over the time is this correct?

nay replies appreciated

The Highway Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Highway Man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Couldn't say without knowing the regulations for that particular county. Where I worked, you were only allowed 5 minutes over before getting a PCN.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic