Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

ALERTING DRIVERS ABOUT PARKING TICKETS

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 am

Image GROCER FACING ARREST AFTER ALERTING DRIVERS ABOUT PARKING TICKETS
Thursday May 29,2008
By Tony Bonnici Have your say(3)
A SHOPKEEPER who alerted her customers to a parking ticket blitz says she has been warned that she could be arrested.

Alma Floyd, 60, says she was told she could be charged with wilfully obstructing “plastic policemen” in the execution of their duty.

The problems began when the Police Community Support Officers began targeting shoppers’ cars in Cheddar, Somerset.

Among the shops hit was Highnam’s Dairy store, run by Mrs Floyd and her husband John, 65.

She claimed that cars were being ticketed for parking on a 20ft wide pavement opposite her store. Worried about the effect on her takings, Mrs Floyd rushed out to remonstrate with officers.

She said: “Ever since the new parking rules were introduced, we’ve seen a slump in trade. The crackdown on parking on that pavement means passing motorists have nowhere to park and they don’t come in here.

“So I have been looking out for officers whenever they come near – it’s the only thing I can do.”

Matters came to a head last week. She said: “I rushed out to say ‘Don’t book them, they’re only here for a few minutes’, but the over-zealous PCSOs wouldn’t listen and it led to an argument.

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: ALERTING DRIVERS ABOUT PARKING TICKETS

Post by Fudgepanda » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:55 pm

I don't see a problem with what she is doing, at least as long as she only warns drivers against the hazards of committing an offence. If she attempts to impede
the P.C.S.O.s in the excution of their duty, or removes a sign, or obscures a yellow line; then that is a different matter. The problem is, it sounds as if their could be two offences occurring here. Contravention of the yellow line regulations and driving along the pavement. With a pavement 20' wide, space is not a problem, but, as I've already said, driving along the footpath is an offence in itself, if all 4 wheels are on that area. Yellow lines, of course apply building line to building line. It seems to me that the lady has two choices. The first would be to petition the local authority to have the kerb line altered to allow limited waiting bay (expensive) or she could ask her customers to phone or text their orders in, where practicable, then her customers would simply be loading and not waiting. Otherwise she's got a problem.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:56 pm

well said fudge

makes a good news story though doesn't it?

sells a few newspapers!! :D

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:55 am

Fudgepanda wrote:I don't see a problem with what she is doing, at least as long as she only warns drivers against the hazards of committing an offence. If she attempts to impede
the P.C.S.O.s in the excution of their duty, or removes a sign, or obscures a yellow line; then that is a different matter. The problem is, it sounds as if their could be two offences occurring here. Contravention of the yellow line regulations and driving along the pavement. With a pavement 20' wide, space is not a problem, but, as I've already said, driving along the footpath is an offence in itself, if all 4 wheels are on that area. Yellow lines, of course apply building line to building line. It seems to me that the lady has two choices. The first would be to petition the local authority to have the kerb line altered to allow limited waiting bay (expensive) or she could ask her customers to phone or text their orders in, where practicable, then her customers would simply be loading and not waiting. Otherwise she's got a problem.
Well said mate.. There was an issue in Stockport circa 1992(ish).. A local electrical contractor next to the bus station painted out the double yellow lines and removed signs from outside his premises. Might have worked if he hadn't have invited the local paper along to photograph him.. The pics looked pretty good when they were handed to the Magistrate...
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic