Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Parents angry as wardens hand out school drop-off fines

Post by falkor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Saturday, February 07, 2009, 09:20
2 readers have commented on this story.
TRAFFIC wardens are handing out £60 fines to parents as they drop off and pick up their children from school.
Staff and parents at Hassell County Primary School, in Newcastle, say the wardens have become much stricter in recent months.
Jenny Nixon, who has nine-year-old twin boys at the school, was given a parking ticket on the Goose Street car park while she walked her children to the school gates.

Mrs Nixon, aged 47, who lives in Clayton Road, Newcastle, said: "I didn't buy a parking ticket because it's 80p for an hour so I thought I would chance it, but when I got back to my car, I had a ticket.
"I was gone for less than five minutes.
"If you're paying 80p twice a day then that's £8 a week just for a couple of minutes' parking."
Newcastle Borough Council gives the school 30 parking permits a year for use on its Windsor Street car park, which allow parents to park for up to half an hour before and after school.

But the Barracks Road school has more than 300 pupils and headteacher David Edwards says it is nowhere near enough. He has written and asked the council for more permits but has been refused.
Now, Mr Edwards has warned the school could start to lose pupils if the parking problems persist.
He said: "Obviously with us being in the town centre, our population is declining and we are relying more on attracting parents outside of our catchment area who have to drive to come here.

"The school is on a dual carriageway and a few parents have been parking on the road, which was causing an obstruction.
"Parents park on the council car parks just for a few minutes but are getting £60 fines. Although that is not our fault, we do feel slightly responsible.
"We need another 80 or so permits, I would say.
"We are grateful the council has allowed us to keep the current level of passes but are bitterly disappointed they have not extended them."
The 30-minute permits cost parents £2 per academic year and are handed out on a first-come, first-served basis. They were introduced following the construction of the inner ring road as it wasn't possible to provide a lay-by adjacent to the school.
Councillor Phil Maskery, cabinet member for safer and stronger communities, said: "Cabinet supports the continuation of the policy at its current level, which has been in operation for over 30 years.

"While the borough council sympathises with parents, parking is a problem for all schools and it's felt that issuing more permits would create a precedent.
"The council is currently liaising with Staffordshire County Council to review car parking and restrictions in the town centre.
"The council will also urge the local strategic partnership and county council to support the development of a 'travel to school' policy.

The Highway Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Parents angry as wardens hand out school drop-off fines

Post by The Highway Man » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:25 pm

I had a school like this on my beat. It was right next to a council car park, with the main entrance on DYL. The council gave the parents 10 minutes free parking on the P&D car park and the parents still insisted on parking on the lines. After I'd ticketed a few, they soon stopped doing it. One even had the cheek to say that she could park where she wanted all day before I started on the job!

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 am

what do you think the actual rule is H M ?

when I was issuing tickets on yellow lines I was expected to have recorded a waiting period of 6 minutes or more with no loading or unloading (of goods)

if bars on the kerb (no waiting except unloading) then I was still expected to record a waiting period of 2 minutes or more

H M? any observations on this? ;)

The Highway Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Highway Man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Parking on DYL, we had to give 5 minutes observation time, my ticket machine wouldn't print unless 5 minutes had elapsed. Parking in a place with double kerb bars was an instant issue as it was no parking, no un/loading at any time. Single kerb bar was the same as a SYL, no parking, no un/loading during prescribed hours.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Been there many times mate. Parents complained to GMP that their kids were put at risk due to inconsiderate drivers (parents themselves) parking outside school gates to pick the kids up. So, I turn up and dish out a few tickets.. All I get back is: "We complained about this, I don't deserve a ticket, I was complaining about him or her"..
Cake and eat it came to mind.. Ahh well, all in a days work.. So I walk away with a tune in my head... Another one bites the dust!
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fudgepanda » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:28 am

Nighthawk may remember a time when a small group of us were sent to a school in Manchester to deal with parents dropping their offspring off close to the Lolipop Man, so close in fact the poor guy couldn't see to walk in the street. The area was de-criminalised but the Parking Attendants were reluctant to go to the area as it was "a bit rough." Parents taking their children to school on foot were really pleased to see us; those in cars were not. We were completely powerless to act unless we could prove dangerous positioning. Nonetheless, merely taking your Pocket Book out and being ready to write in it usually scared them off. Unfortunately, you can't deal with the kind of mentality that sticks a 9 year old in the front seat without a seat belt while the driver smokes a fag with one hand and holds his cup of tea with the other.

Which is perhaps a pertinant point. If the purpose of waiting restrictions is to assist in the free flow of traffic, by deterring people from putting their vehicles in dangerous or inconsiderate positions, then a Warden with a note book is more of a deterrent than an issued ticket. The only problem with that is there is no
money to be made.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:14 pm

I remember it well!
Hey, we didn't even get shot at once! :lol:
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

mog505

Post by mog505 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Chaps,
Everyone seems to be avoiding the central tenet of this article.
That parents are parking in a car park where they are not causing danger, obstruction or any damage.
What has happened is that the "rules" have been breached.
We have to remember why we are here in the first place.
We are here to exist and to live a full happy life. Not to be bound by rules which have not taken into consideration a perfectly valid reason for taking a particular course of action just because the rule is there.

this topic has gone on to the subject of people committing clear violations, the article was about folks not filling a council's coffers for a couple of minutes of parking.
Decisions like this are what lead people to mis-trust local authorities and their enforcement officers. The only people who complain about parking tickets being issued on double yellow lines and other places of that ilk are those who are being ticketed.
Putting your car in a parking space for 2 minutes to pick up a child from school is totally different. If we are expected to punish those people then perhaps we have to take a look at ourselves.

tonykelly97

Post by tonykelly97 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

I do not know about this particular incident but I know as a Pedestrian I am angry when forced to walk in the road because some pig ignorant motorist has parked on the pavement "for just a minute" . Actually what they are saying is that they are more important than other Citizens. In my street on the Isle of Wight we fought a successful war against stupid motorists that thought our pavement was some kind of off road parking and that excuse that they were only stopping for a moment is a load of lies. By constantly photographing the offenders and e mailing them to the local police we finally made the authorities realise that we are Pedestrians and our pavement is not some kind of off road parking or somehwere for a stupid motorist to park when they are too tired to go to the car park. We have a couple of Parking Wardens that come into our street twice a day and thue pavement parking is practically unknown. After a letter to this site last year I took the advice and spoke to one of the Wardens and thank them all through him for their diligence. I think he was happy and for the first time we made eye contact. Good on you Traffic Wardens, as a Pedestrian I rely on you.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 am

nice one Tony
We have a couple of Parking Wardens that come into our street twice a day
see that is the key part

without that you've got nothing
I took the advice and spoke to one of the Wardens and thank them all through him for their diligence. I think he was happy and for the first time we made eye contact.
awesome, good action Tony, very good :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic