Hi and Hello!

Who are you? Do you go kayeking down the Nile? Make model Concordes out of matchsticks? What are your hobbies? What is your starsign?
nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Hi and Hello!

Post by nighthawk » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Folks..
Just popped in to say "Hi". Bit odd really as I'm no longer a Traffic Warden, but thought I'd pop on in anyway..
I was a Traffic Warden for 15 years with GMP and even though it had it's ups and downs I gotta admit I enjoyed the job.
A couple of years ago I decided to go for a career change and to be honest, it's the best move I made.. I love my new job.
That said, i am a huge supporter still of my previous role, albeit they no longer exist within GMP (except at M/cr Airport)(well for now anyway), the one that were left became Traffic PCSO's.

You all take care out there!

NH!
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Re: Hi and Hello!

Post by falkor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 pm

15 years NH - wow that is huge

in another post you talked about your supervisor - didn't you ever think about or try to get to the supervisor position yourself? ;)

Harold S

Post by Harold S » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:11 am

NIGHTHAWK CAN TRAFFIC PCSOS REALLY DO ALL THAT TRAFFIC WARDENS USED TO DO BEFORE THEY SCRAPPED THEM? WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING TO HAPPEN AT THE AIRPORT? ARE THEY GOING TO SCRAP TRAFFIC WARDENS THERE TOO? ARE YOU SAYING PARKING ATTENDANTS WILL STEP IN TO TAKE OVER THAT ROLE NGHTHAWK?

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:35 pm

falkor wrote:15 years NH - wow that is huge

in another post you talked about your supervisor - didn't you ever think about or try to get to the supervisor position yourself? ;)
Hi Falk.. I tried mate, but after working as an acting SV I decided it wasn't for me..
Harold S wrote:NIGHTHAWK CAN TRAFFIC PCSOS REALLY DO ALL THAT TRAFFIC WARDENS USED TO DO BEFORE THEY SCRAPPED THEM? WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING TO HAPPEN AT THE AIRPORT? ARE THEY GOING TO SCRAP TRAFFIC WARDENS THERE TOO? ARE YOU SAYING PARKING ATTENDANTS WILL STEP IN TO TAKE OVER THAT ROLE NGHTHAWK?
Hi Harold..
The Traffic PCSO's are the former TW's.. All that will change will be the black and yellow checkered band on the hat for the PCSO's blue one. Oh, and their eppaulettes too will change (along with their money.. lol)
The Airport will retain the staff once the transition is complete.. I still have a few good friends who transfered to the airport a few years ago. They keep me reliably informed..

You all take care!
NH

Chan76
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Doomguard'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Chan76 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:23 am

nighthawk wrote:Hi Folks..
Just popped in to say "Hi". Bit odd really as I'm no longer a Traffic Warden, but thought I'd pop on in anyway..
I was a Traffic Warden for 15 years with GMP and even though it had it's ups and downs I gotta admit I enjoyed the job.
A couple of years ago I decided to go for a career change and to be honest, it's the best move I made.. I love my new job.
That said, i am a huge supporter still of my previous role, albeit they no longer exist within GMP (except at M/cr Airport)(well for now anyway), the one that were left became Traffic PCSO's.

You all take care out there!

NH!
Hi and welcome to the site NightHawk :D

( sorry it's a bit delayed :lol: )

Am sure your input and experience will be of great benefit to the site

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Thu May 08, 2008 5:03 pm

yeah definitely

I echo that emotion

but seriously, do we actually have one real live up and running P.A or TW yet? :?

well I am thinking we don't :oops: what are we gonna do ?

any suggestions?

The Highway Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Highway Man » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 pm

falkor wrote:yeah definitely

I echo that emotion

but seriously, do we actually have one real live up and running P.A or TW yet? :?

well I am thinking we don't :oops: what are we gonna do ?

any suggestions?
It doesn't look like it Falk, I too was a traffic warden (P.A.) for 3 and a half years before I made the move to the same job as Nighthawk, I work in the same region but at a different station ;)

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 am

welcome Highway Man

I was never a traffic warden but have issued well over a hundred parking tickets in my role as a Police Officer during the 1980s

so my "knowledge" is probably well out of date on traffic warden issues but I do have "experience" of the usual problems encountered

3 and a half years is a substantial period, would be glad to hear of your views on other threads existing on the site H M :mrgreen:

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

Hmmm... Where's everybody gone?

I know Fudgepanda's not got a PC at the moment, so where's everybody else????

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fudgepanda » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:33 am

nighthawk wrote:Hmmm... Where's everybody gone?

I know Fudgepanda's not got a PC at the moment, so where's everybody else????
Ay-up. Alright folks?

An update re: Parking enforcement in Gtr. Manchester; if anyone's interested. All 10 Metropolitan Boroughs provide their own enforcement of Waiting Regs., either through Contractors such as NCP (no suggestion of enforcement for profit there then) or staff they employ directly, such as Tameside.

At the Airport, as Nighthawk has already stated, the Wardens have become Traffic P.C.S.O.s with normal Support Officer duties in addition to Waiting Enforcement. Our epaulettes are being changed and the new ones don't have the Traffic legend as it would seem the public think all we do is traffic!?

The Airport would like to take over enforcement as our fines are £30 and they doubtless see the potential to raise them to the level found outside which would be £50 to £70. Of course, cars committing Waiting Offences "out on Division" are not subject to PNC checks as they are at the Airport which means other offences such as licence and insurance would not be disclosed and the drivers would "get away with it". They would also not be aware if a vehicle had been stolen or was the subject of intelligence. A stolen car or van being left unattended on the road outside an Airport building is a cause for concern.

We also now work a 24 hour shift system which does bring a slightly enhanced unsocial hours payment but, little or no overtime, so we are marginally worse off financially, but most of us (me included) are enjoying our new role.

There are TPCSOs elsewhere in the GMP area and they assist fuel testing units of HMRC, as well as VOSA for taxi, bus and HGV and also take care of other offences such as Unnecessary Obstruction and stopping on Zig-Zag lines at crossings and where there are Double White Lines down the centre of the road.

It's quite possible that parking enforcement needs a little "Joined Up Thinking" as "normal" PCSOs can't deal with any kind of waiting enforcement, nor Obstruction or Endorsable Offences. Most P.C.s can't even remember what a Non-Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice looks like, let alone have one about their person. Local Authority Parking Attendants can't issue for anything other than yellow lines, bus stops, loading bays and disabled bays. It would come down to Traffic Cops or TPCSOs to issue anything out of the ordinary.

Right, that's it, I'm knackered; I'm going to bed. Holy Smoke, it's 04:32.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic