blue badge abusers

If not a headline case then let's hear about it IN HERE!!
falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

blue badge abusers

Post by falkor » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Panorama has found evidence of many blue badge disabled holders surrendering possession of their blue badge to relatives who simply use it to park in disabled bays near to where they work or wherever is convenient to them

Panorama has found evidence of many "relatives" displaying the blue badge at disabled bays without the actual "disabled person" having been in the car. Relatives then say (if challenged) that they are about to pick up the disabled person or are doing their shopping or banking

The whole subject is a minefield, way beyond the capacity of an average CEO to cope with I would have thought

The Panorama team follow a council enforcement team all over the place uncovering case after case of relatives totally abusing the disabled blue badge and it is quite obvious that these cases are not a one off

It seems obvious to me that such abuse is widespread and that the "willing and efficient" council team put together to crack down on this (filmed by Panorama) are doing a very good job but simply woefully inadequate to address the true scale of this practice. Watch the programme on iplayer, it is called BRITAIN ON THE FIDDLE and includes several other types of dishonesty cases - go to 13.13 for one classic case

geekagony
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: blue badge abusers

Post by geekagony » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey i'm a CEO up in the north of England, Im just wondering if you know anything about the new reform in the blue badge system, i know up here the new blue badges are being dished out but i also read that they are looking at giving CEO's the power to confiscate a badge that is being misused without a police officer present. Was just wondering if any of you guys know when this will be implemented and rolled out?

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 am

welcome geek, can I just ask you, would you want the power to confiscate a badge that is being misused without a police officer present?

to be honest - doing that is getting into a whole different area of criminal investigation

the major CEOs now are issuing tickets under civil law not criminal law, would you agree with that? if a motorist doesn't pay a PCN what happens? do they get a summons for parking in a restricted street (as per 1960s/ 1970s) or is it a case of civil proceedings for an amount owed? to me there is a serious difference

to me giving a CEO the power to confiscate a badge that is being misused without a police officer present is doing it ON THE CHEAP. CEOs are paid to enforce parking restrictions, not to investigate cases of fraud

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:13 pm

CEO's should not have the power or authority to remove a disability parking permit. If the user has broke the law, a law set by the local borough council then they should set up an investigation and only call in the police when they have sufficient evidence to secure a conviction.
As a Police Traffic Warden I only ever reported a handful of drivers I believed to have abused the scheme. However... Getting the council to support your evidence was a whole new ball game. 8 out of 10 occasions they returned the permit to the driver / owner.
It's a ball ache and a legal minefield.. Thankfully I'm out of that game now.
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Nash.2

Post by Nash.2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:44 pm

There is widespread abuse of blue badges across the UK. This is well known. Once a blue badge is issued to a member of the family who is genuinely disabled, the rest of the family can then easily (and do according to the Panorama TV programme) go out with that pass, park up in any disabled bay going and simply argue "oh I am shopping for Mum, she is disabled and cannot get down to the shops poor luv," this behaviour extends further and further as the family "get away with it wholesale."

Unravelling or challenging this behaviour is quite plainly beyond the scope of any CEO - instead a joint Council/ Police team who have the muscle, determination, skills, training and back up should already be moving around the county - proactively! But no, there is a cheaper way! Lumber the poor CEO who already has a well defined role in parking restrictions, with this as well. It is truly appalling and I actually don't know what's worse, passing the buck to CEOs to take responsibility for this - or the actual abuse of the blue badge by the family. :oops:

geekagony
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by geekagony » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeh i think if we got given the power to take them it will bring with it a whole new level of abuse, not many of our CEO's check badges now because they see it as a waste of time because if we find a badge is being misused we fill out a misuse of blue badge form but it seems like the local council/police have better things to do then deal with this and they just shrug it off and dont really seem to care , so i very much doubt they would back up any CEO who confiscated a blue badge.

Nash.2

Post by Nash.2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 am

Hi geek, I am saddened to agree with you. See nighthawk's post above, nothing has changed from his experiences it seems.

But there is a further problem even on top of that. A blue badge abuser will very often claim that the time they are caught is the only time they ever abused the badge.

When found parking in a disabled bay it's, "oh My mum isn't well today - I had to buzz down to town to get her prescription."

"Yes but only she has the right to a disabled bay, not you" The abuser will say, "Oh I didn't know that, I thought I could park and get her prescription for her."

This is the classic excuse used time and time again. This is the first time they've ever done it and they didn't know. :roll:

In reality this is the 99th time and they know full well. In evidence terms, there is a world of difference and it is not the CEO's job to accumulate evidence like that (which is needed to present the truth to the court!!)

The Highway Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Highway Man » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 pm

The local Social Services department where my old beat was, was pretty good on blue badge abuse and took my reports seriously. First offence received a warning letter, 2nd offence a temporary suspension of blue badge and 3rd offence full removal. This was fully explained in the first warning letter, it usually didn't go to a second offence. ;)

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 pm

yeah but what about the power to remove /seize the blue badge Highway Man? :ugeek:

should CEOs have that power/ responsibility? do you believe that there is a big problem with blue badge abuse?

The Highway Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Highway Man » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 pm

I didn't have to worry about seizing them, such was my reputation on the streets, not many locals tried it. Just the simple power to inspect would have been sufficient in my day, it's all changed now, and like Nighthawk, we now have a totally different fight on our hands!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic