Safety at work

If not a headline case then let's hear about it IN HERE!!
geekagony
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Safety at work

Post by geekagony » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm

I was just wondering how everyone deals with an incident and how the cope with it afterwards, i had an incident today where i was forced to press my emergency button on my radio due to the level of violence i faced. I now feel like i am no longer safe at work and if this is a normal feeling after an incident and how and what safeguards your employers put in place to increase your safety for instance, walking in pairs or even stab proof vests/ head cameras.

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Re: Safety at work

Post by falkor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:32 am

After you pressed your emergency button, did you get support from other staff? what happened immediately after pressing the button?

It would be nice to see "support" from members of the public at times like this! Boris Johnson talked of "his traffic wardens" and how he saw them in such a good light, members of the public should be stepping in to assist - but realistically I know that is a forlorn hope :(

geekagony
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by geekagony » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:42 pm

After i pressed my emergency button my colleagues did come to assist but by the time they arrived the male left, then about 30 seconds after a fleet of about 5 police vehicles turned up to assist.
Most of the members of public just all turned around and started to watch the incident and no one came forward to give their details to the police to be a witness, but since posting this topic he went to court and pleaded guilty and got charged with using abusive behaviour in order to cause alarm, harrasment or distress and he got a fine of £200 which i was pleased about.
Geek

falkor
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by falkor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Geek you said by the time they arrived the male left and the Police arrived after that, so how did the male get apprehended? :?:

a £200 fine is huge and from what you wrote, I am well chuffed with the high quality back up you got!! Response from the public sounds poor but that is - sadly - to be expected.

geekagony
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by geekagony » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Well after i issued he went back into the house to put clothes on and then ran after me and caught up to me at the bottom of his street so it wasnt far away from his house, so the police just went knocking and arrested him.
Geek

Pizza Delivery

Post by Pizza Delivery » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 am

Geek you mentioned "walking in pairs or even stab proof vests/ head cameras" - now that time has passed since this distressing incident - have you experienced any further cases, where you have been forced to press your emergency button on your radio?

Do you now think that "walking in pairs or even stab proof vests/ head cameras" are required? I know some local authorities have provided head cameras in the past but don't know any that have provided stab proof vests.

geekagony
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by geekagony » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Apologies for the late reply Pizza Delivery, i have had further incidents but none in which i have felt the need to press my emergency button, my emergency button is a last resort and i don't press it with out thinking it through as i wouldn't like my colleges to think i press it all the time. I believe head cameras are a good idea because in such a case if a member of public puts in a complaint because a CEO has said or done something the shouldn't have it can be used as evidence to back up the member of public as well as being used to deter and prevent violence to the CEO. As for stab vests i think anyone working in a front-line job dealing with potentially aggressive/violent people i believe a stab vest can not do any harm so why shouldn't they be provided.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic