Broken down on Double Yellows

This is for members of the public to ask questions! Members of staff will do their best to answer your questions but the answers are given to the best of their knowledge END OF!
Previous topicNext topic

Broken down on Double Yellows

Post by Guest »

Often, I get a member of the public ask me if they will get a ticket if they leave their broken down car unattended while waiting for us (RAC) to attend.
My answer is yes you may, but I'm not certain if the motorist would still need to pay if he/she could prove the vehicle was broken down.

Can someone tell me the official answer is please?

:ugeek:

rains
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Broken down on Double Yellows

Post by rains »

Whoops, found my lost post. :oops:

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk »

Ahhhh, this can be a dark place to go.. lol

In short.. Yes, they can get issued with a FPN. I used to advise the public to remain with the vehicle at all times as I may not be arround all day. A PC or another TW might be covering and they may nor be aware of the circumstances as to why it's in situ.
If an FPN is issued prior to the RAC / AA / Greenflag arrives on scene, ask the patrolmans details, and if pos a copy of any form as proof. If the vehicle has to be towed to a local garage for the repair, then get a full garage report from the mechanic.
Now appeal.. In the case of a TW or PC, appeal to the Central Ticket Office and send in a copy of the mechanics report (Don't send the original). If issued by a PA, call to the local town hall and speak with the parking department. They may try to fob you off, but stick to your guns. Number one rule, remain polite.
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

rains
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by rains »

Thanks for the advice. :geek:

best tw in town

Post by best tw in town »

As a police traffic warden of 5 years, if it can be proven that you have broken down, i.e: you have a garage receipt or AA/RAC receipt you can appeal against the ticket and in all fairness you should get off. But NOT if it's been there for several days......!! As a matter of courtesy (even if not all TWs or PAs are courteous) if you do break down, telephone the local council/police station as appropriate and let them know. Remember to take down the name of the person that you speak to.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by nighthawk »

best tw in town wrote:As a police traffic warden of 5 years, if it can be proven that you have broken down, i.e: you have a garage receipt or AA/RAC receipt you can appeal against the ticket and in all fairness you should get off. But NOT if it's been there for several days......!! As a matter of courtesy (even if not all TWs or PAs are courteous) if you do break down, telephone the local council/police station as appropriate and let them know. Remember to take down the name of the person that you speak to.
I agree.. If the vehicle has been there for a few days, then it's classed as being abandoned.. The owner/driver then has to convince the authorities of a good enough reason as to why it's been there so long.. More then a couple of hours, then I think they will be on a looser!
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

Previous topicNext topic