Parking on grass verge

This is for members of the public to ask questions! Members of staff will do their best to answer your questions but the answers are given to the best of their knowledge END OF!
rains
Registered Member
Registered Member

Parking on grass verge

Post by rains » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Okay, this subject confuses (like most things) me.

If a motorist parks on grass verge between public road and pavement, can he get a ticket only from a police officer? Do yellow lines on that road make any difference to the issuing of a ticket?

:geek:

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Parking on grass verge

Post by nighthawk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:54 pm

That will depend on the local by-laws. Each council will have dedicated Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO's). In general when a yellow line in in force it will cover building line to building line. Where a grass verge is in place, that's an entirely different matter. Best place to enquire will be at your local Traffic Management Office.
Hope this helps?

NH
Yea Thou I walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Fear No Evil.

rains
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by rains » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Down to by laws eh! Some of us down our road haven't understood why some motorists get a ticket for parking on the grass while others don't.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:37 pm

I wish I could offer you an answer bud, but I'm afraid that I can't.. Sorry..

Fudgepanda
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fudgepanda » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:04 am

I do know of a driver who was prosecuted for criminal damage after parking on a grass verge and getting bogged down.

nighthawk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by nighthawk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:15 pm

I just felt sorry for the grass! :lol:

OldWilliam
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by OldWilliam » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:27 am

rains wrote:Down to by laws eh! Some of us down our road haven't understood why some motorists get a ticket for parking on the grass while others don't.
The theory is easy... all TROs apply to the road, or "highway". It's true that, in urban areas, it will be building line to building line, because generally it can be assumed that "adopted highways" are not privately owned. There are exceptions - I actually own a piece of road that has been adopted by the local authority... so it's repairable at public expense, and it's a road for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act 1988, but very unusually, if I park my car on it, even though I own it I still need to have (and to display!) a Vehicle Excise Licence, because the Vehicle Excise and Regulation Act 1984 applies to "a road which is repairable at the public expense".

But I digress... in more rural locations, it's a fair assumption that the road ("highway") stretches "from hedgerow to hedgerow" - but the determinant is still what is privately owned, and what is not, so if the owner of an adjacent plot of land plants their hedge a couple of metres into their land... any FPT issued to a car parked on the private strip between the highway and the hedge cannot be enforced. But if even a small part of the vehicle is on the highway, it can... motor cyclists please note!

That's why you sometimes see cars parked on a wide pavement in front of shops... you will probably see a series of metal studs marking the property line between the shop's curtilage and the highway, and so the TRO cannot apply to the privately-owned section.

Oh, did I mention that they can still get a FPN for an offence contrary to S.34 Road Traffic Act 1988, "driving a motor vehicle elsewhere than on a road" if they do that? :lol:

honeywes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by honeywes » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 am

We can issue if the verge is council property, but not if its private.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic